Thursday, March 8, 2007

My one and only


I love my hair. I've spent the last three years growing it out so there would be more of it to love. But now that it's reached the middle of my back I'm starting to have a major split end problem. While silicone, listed on labels primarily as dimethicone, is often hailed as a miracle ingredient that protects hair from damage and seals split ends and is used in almost all hair products, I was shocked to read in a back issue of Allure that silicone actually damages hair further with prolonged use. Of course I immediately began scanning all of my product labels to start seriously cutting down. Most leave-in conditioners list silicone as a main ingredient, which will severely dry hair out if used in excess, so I've started slathering my ends with olive oil once a week for about a half an hour before showering. I've also invested in a tube of Frederic Fekkai's Glossing Cream.


This is probably one of the nicest hair products I've ever encountered. It's a thick gorgeously fresh scented leave-in conditioner/styling cream that promises to hydrate, eliminate frizz, and protect hair from heat tools and UV rays. Although it contains silicone, it also contains a healthy dose of olive oil so it doesn't primarily rely on silicone to protect hair. This product has replaced my Garnier Fructis Long'n'Strong leave-in and the Redken Glass that I used sparingly to smooth down the baby hairs at the top of my head. While Glossing Cream seems rather expensive, I only need about two peas worth of product as opposed to twice as much Garnier Fructis leave-in plus 3-6 drops of Redken Glass. Even the travel size will last you ages. This is a teriffic product and is now the only styling product I need to get great looking hair. Retials for 19.50 for 4 oz, or $9 for 1.6 oz

No comments: