Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Going Red II: Gloss It Up!

After balm, sheer gloss and sheer shiny lipsticks are the next most low maintenance and forgiving formulas- they're more pigmented than balm, but their sheerness and glossiness make them solidly wearable.

My favorite in the sheer lipstick field is definitely Vincent Longo Baby Balm in Boccacino (pictured in the previous post), a dewy berry red that will be my must-have for fall. This line unfortunately doesn't have a true cherry red or anything on the orange side of the spectrum at this time, but fingers are crossed that Longo will expand this line soon.

My favorite gloss is the renowned Chanel Spark Glossimer, which has been touted for years as a universally flattering shade. I first stumbled upon this gem in high school while reading Seventeen; some of you may remember their article which pictured a ton of girls covering a wide spectrum of skin tones who all looked fabulous in it. I can honestly say that I tried it on a slew of girls in my sorority and it looked great on all of them. I think the secret is a slightly pinky red gloss packed with the finest gold shimmer I've ever seen; the cool and warm tones sort of neutralize each other and somehow this makes it work on everyone. Another bonus is that the nonsticky gel formula is buildable from sheer to pretty full-on red, making it highly versatile. It retails for a ridiculous $25, but a tube lasts me about two years with pretty regular use- well worth it for the perfect red.

Another winner I stumbled upon last fall is Prescriptives Rain Gloss in Cherry Storm. The formula is like a very thin watery gel and the effect is like a sheer wet liquid lipstick- it's a formula unlike anything I've ever seen. Cherry Storm is that perfect wet "I just ate a popsicle" look, which leaves the perfect stain of color after the shine is gone. The shine is disappointingly short lived; because the formula has no tackiness whatsoever you can basically lick this one right off (and you might want to, it tastes and smells just like a grape pospsicle) but with a little self control this is one of the most gorgeous lip products I've ever used. The shade range is pretty good too, and makes other bold shades like coral and deep berry equally wearable. It retails for $18.50 which is a little steep considering that re-application is a must after eating or drinking anything but then again you don't need very much product to get a stunning look.

No comments: