Monday, September 24, 2007

method to my madness

Unless you're seriously dedicated to green living (and if you are I'm not sure why you're reading my blog), should you ever intern at an environmental non-profit organization you will soon have your green self-esteem utterly shattered.

I walked into my design internship head held high, carrying my Mac laptop, nalgene full of filtered water, and a tupperware of buckwheat noodles and edamame only to immediately receive a shaming for my plasticwear, which leech chemicals that mess up the human endocrine system (hormones, I looked it up on Wikipedia when they weren't looking).

I was, however, thrilled to see that they use Method home products with wild abandon. I've been a fan since last year, when my BFF became addicted to the cucumber range of scents. Now I use as many Method products as I can, to the point of scruitinizing product labels to see if I really need a stainless steel cleaner or a daily use shower cleaning spray.

My roommate here in Apt. 5 doesn't quite get my fixation, but here's the thing. When you thoroughly clean your living environment (as I do every week), between dusting and scrubbing a whole lot of cleaner ends up on your skin and in your lungs. I've always had problems with shower cleaners making my lungs feel tight and causing hour-long coughing fits, and while Method's shower cleaner still makes me cough a little it's by far the mildest thing I've found and it leaves my shower soap-scum free. I've also found that their hand and dish soap are much less hard on my hands, cutting down on how often I need a manicure scrub. And all of the cleaners are biodegradable and non-toxic (no rinsing required- huge time saver), while managing to smell delicious. On top of all this the line is affordable and the packaging is well designed; what's not to love?

Some Apt. 5 favorites:


omop- compostable sweeping cloths, reusable microfibre mop pad, delicious lemon ginger floor cleaner, and ergonomic handle make this hugely superior to the Swiffer line


pink grapefruit cleaning wipes- these biodegradable wipes are a great compromise for those who love the simplicity of Chlorox Wipes and those who demand a greener alternative, and the pink grapefruit scent is refreshing.


aroma pill- adds just the right ammount of freshness to a mold-prone bathroom, and the design is really pretty

No comments: