Sunday, February 10, 2008

fishy on the inside

While out on a magazine writing assignment for a student publication at Syracuse University last fall, I had the opportunity to interview a local spa director about proper skincare.  I had heard the benefits of Omega-3 dietary supplements touted in magazines for ages, but somehow it took talking to the spa director in person to motivate me to try it.  WebMD is a bit vague about the skin benefits, but I recall an article in Allure from maybe two years ago that mentioned Omega-3 as an anti-inflammatory and it seems like anti-inflammatory ingredients in skincare are so hot right now (check out the Dr. Weil for Origins collection, for example).  After using an Omega-3 supplement for two months, I definitely see an improvement in my skin.  My skin seems to heal faster and break out far less, and I definitely made it through finals without the biannual epic breakout.  Of course in accordance with human nature, once my skin is in great shape I forget to take the supplement for about a week and the resulting mini-breakout proves this stuff must be doing something good for me.  Skin benefits aside, scanning the info on WebMD and Wikipedia about the benefits of Omega-3 suggests this is a solid investment for your overall health.  If you're in doubt about which supplement to buy, as pharmacies have a ton to choose from, the October issue of Allure recommends looking for a high EPA and DHA content.

No comments: