Sunday, February 24, 2008

I <3 Alex Bay
Alex Bay <3's Burt

After several intense weeks at school, my SU BFF and I peaced out for the weekend and took a trip to her home in the Frozen North Country, otherwise known as Alexandria Bay, NY ("within spitting distance of Canada").  
View Larger Map

Highlights: Shamrock Shakes at McDonald's, not one but two hockey games (go Ghosts/River Rats!), the annual Polar Bear Dip- where they turn the marina into a giant bar and everyone watches crazies jump in the river through the hole they cut through the foot of ice on top, raiding Canada's Duty Free, a late night at the local bar complete with live music, and plenty of wild goose stew to nosh on.

As much fun as it was, the North Country did a serious job on my skin- especially my lips, which didn't stand a chance against all the eating and drinking in the cold air.  Although anthropologists warn against going local, I did take a page from my Bay Girls and swiped on some Burt's Bees Beeswax Lip Balm before bed on my nails and cuticles.  This creamy formula is packed with ultra-soothing beeswax and coconut oil, plus it packs a minty tingle and smells just like a thin mint.  I woke up with healthy looking lips- no chapping or skin tightness, and my cuticles were smooth.  I imagine this will be a personal carry-on staple from now on, since airplane climate is not unlike that of Upstate NY in the winter.  At around $3 a tube, this stuff is a steal- it's definitely worth keeping one in your desk and one in every pocket you own (or in your snow mobile or in your hockey bag).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Alex Bay <3's you too!! Burts is also amazing, like you said, especially in winter when your lips are dry and cuticles are destroyed.