Thursday, February 7, 2008

Going Red: effortless bold

I've always wanted to love full-on red lipstick, but something about its retro Old-Hollywood glamour just isn't "me."  I had just about given up ever wearing anything but a red stain, balm, or gloss when NARS introduced Manhunt Lipstick as a part of Spring's Shanghai Lily collection.  While this shade is definitely not for the cosmetically shy, it's the most modern-meets-effortless reinvention of a classic like red lipstick I've seen a cosmetics company make in living memory.
Manhunt is set apart from other reds by its coral undertone, which unlike its blue and orange based compatriots will never turn fuchsia on you or make your teeth look yellow.  Described as a sheer poppy red on the NARS website, this shade is also probably the brightest color I've ever put on my lips.  While the almost neon quality of Manhunt is more than a bit intimidating at first, it brightened my whole face and somehow made my pale skin glow (read: not ruddy in any way).

I've had this lipstick for two weeks and it has become my go-to on early mornings, coupled with nothing more than a swipe of mascara, a bit of white highlighter on the inner corner of the eye, foundation, and a light dusting of golden bronzer on the apples of my cheeks.  Significant bonus: this shade is anything but high maintenance.  The lasting power is not only incredible, but the formula wears down comfortably and evenly into a beautiful reddish pinky coral stain.
 
Although pricey at $24, it's so utterly worth it to wake up exhausted, throw on a white sweater, be done with makeup in less than two minutes, and roll out the door looking incredible.

No comments: